Orlando, Florida is a city that is known worldwide for being the home of some of the most prominent theme parks in the world, including Disney World, Universal Studios, and SeaWorld. However, there is more to this city than just theme parks, and there are many things to do and places to visit that can make your vacation in Orlando unforgettable. In this article, we will be discussing some of the top things to do around Orlando, Florida.
Explore the Nature in Orlando
Orlando is not only about the theme parks; there are also many opportunities to explore nature. One of the must-visit places in Orlando is the Harry P. Leu Gardens. The gardens are located in the heart of Orlando and offer visitors an opportunity to explore the beautiful flora and fauna of the area. The garden spans over 50 acres and is home to over 1,000 plant species and several themed gardens, including the Rose Garden, the Butterfly Garden, and the Vegetable Garden. Visitors can also explore the Leu House Museum, which is a restored historic home that features many antiques and artifacts from the 19th century.
Another great place to explore nature in Orlando is the Wekiwa Springs State Park. The park is located just 20 minutes from downtown Orlando and offers visitors an opportunity to explore the natural beauty of Florida. The park is home to a crystal-clear spring that is perfect for swimming, snorkeling, and scuba diving. Visitors can also rent canoes and kayaks to explore the Wekiva River, which offers stunning views of the surrounding forest and wildlife.
Experience Orlando’s Arts and Culture
Orlando is a city that is rich in arts and culture, and there are many places to explore for those interested in the arts. One of the most prominent places to visit is the Orlando Museum of Art. The museum is located in Loch Haven Park and features a collection of over 2,400 pieces of art from around the world. The museum also hosts several special exhibitions throughout the year, making it a must-visit destination for art lovers.
Another great place to experience Orlando’s arts and culture is the Dr. Phillips Center for the Performing Arts. The center is located in downtown Orlando and hosts several Broadway shows, concerts, and other performances throughout the year. The center is home to several theaters, including the Walt Disney Theater, which can seat up to 2,700 people.
Visit the Historic Sites in Orlando
Orlando has a rich history, and there are many historic sites to explore for those interested in history. One of the most prominent places to visit is the Orange County Regional History Center. The center is located in downtown Orlando and features exhibits that tell the story of the region’s history, from the Native Americans who lived there to the present day. The center also hosts several special exhibitions throughout the year, making it a must-visit destination for history buffs.
Another great place to visit is the Greenwood Cemetery. The cemetery is located in downtown Orlando and is the final resting place of many of the city’s most prominent citizens, including mayors, governors, and other notable figures. The cemetery is a peaceful and serene place to visit, and visitors can take a self-guided tour to learn more about the history of the area.
Get Active in Orlando
For those who are looking for an active vacation in Orlando, there are many opportunities to get out and get moving. One of the most popular destinations is the West Orange Trail. The trail is a 22-mile-long paved trail that winds through the western suburbs of Orlando and offers stunning views of the surrounding area. Visitors can walk, run, bike, or rollerblade on the trail, making it a great destination for people of all ages.
Another great destination for those looking to get active is the Orlando Tree Trek Adventure Park. The park is located just 10 minutes from downtown Orlando and features over 90 challenging obstacles, including zip lines, rope bridges, and balance beams. The park is perfect for those who are looking for a thrill and an opportunity to challenge themselves physically.
Enjoy the Nightlife in Orlando
Orlando is a city that never sleeps, and there are many opportunities to enjoy the nightlife in the area. One of the most popular destinations is CityWalk at Universal Orlando. CityWalk features several bars, restaurants, and nightclubs, making it a great destination for those who are looking to let loose and have some fun.
Another great destination for nightlife in Orlando is the Church Street District. The district is located in downtown Orlando and features several bars and nightclubs, as well as a variety of restaurants and shops. Visitors can enjoy live music, comedy shows, and other performances throughout the year, making it a must-visit destination for those who are looking for a fun night out.
In conclusion, Orlando, Florida is a city that offers something for everyone. Whether you are interested in nature, arts and culture, history, getting active, or enjoying the nightlife, there are many things to do and places to visit that can make your vacation in Orlando unforgettable. So, pack your bags, and get ready to explore all that Orlando has to offer.
Frequently Asked Queries About Things To Do Around Orlando Fl
What are some popular theme parks in Orlando?
There are several theme parks in Orlando that are popular among tourists. Here are the top three:
1. Walt Disney World Resort: This is the largest and most popular theme park in Orlando. It has four theme parks, two water parks, and numerous attractions, shows, and events.
2. Universal Orlando Resort: This theme park has two theme parks, a water park, and the Wizarding World of Harry Potter. It is known for its thrilling rides and immersive experiences.
3. SeaWorld Orlando: This theme park is known for its marine life shows and attractions. It also has several roller coasters and other rides.
– Walt Disney World Resort is the largest and most popular theme park in Orlando.
– Universal Orlando Resort has thrilling rides and immersive experiences.
– SeaWorld Orlando is known for its marine life shows and attractions.
What are some outdoor activities to do in Orlando?
If you’re looking to spend some time outdoors in Orlando, there are several activities you can do. Here are the top three:
1. Kayaking: There are several lakes and rivers in and around Orlando where you can go kayaking. You can rent kayaks and explore the natural beauty of the area.
2. Hiking: There are several hiking trails in the area, including the Lake Apopka Loop Trail, the Tibet-Butler Preserve, and the Wekiwa Springs State Park.
3. Golfing: Orlando is known for its golf courses, and there are several public and private courses that cater to golfers of all skill levels.
– You can go kayaking in several lakes and rivers in and around Orlando.
– There are several hiking trails in the area.
– Orlando is known for its golf courses.
What are some attractions for families in Orlando?
Orlando is a great destination for families, with several attractions that cater to both children and adults. Here are the top three:
1. Legoland Florida: This theme park is geared towards children and has several rides, shows, and attractions based on Lego toys.
2. Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex: This attraction lets you explore space and learn about the history of space exploration. You can see actual spacecraft and meet real astronauts.
3. Gatorland: This wildlife park lets you get up close and personal with alligators and other reptiles. You can see alligator shows, zip line over the alligator pit, and even feed the gators.
– Legoland Florida is geared towards children and has several rides and attractions based on Lego toys.
– The Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex lets you explore space and meet real astronauts.
– Gatorland lets you get up close and personal with alligators and other reptiles.
What are some shopping destinations in Orlando?
Orlando is a great destination for shopping, with several malls and outlets that offer discounts on designer brands. Here are the top three:
1. The Mall at Millenia: This is the most upscale mall in Orlando, with several high-end stores such as Gucci, Louis Vuitton, and Chanel.
2. Orlando International Premium Outlets: This outlet mall has over 180 stores, including designer brands such as Michael Kors, Coach, and Polo Ralph Lauren.
3. Florida Mall: This is the largest mall in Orlando, with over 250 stores, including popular brands such as H&M, Forever 21, and Zara.
– The Mall at Millenia is the most upscale mall in Orlando.
– Orlando International Premium Outlets has over 180 stores, including designer brands.
– Florida Mall is the largest mall in Orlando.
What are some cultural attractions in Orlando?
Orlando has several cultural attractions that showcase the history and art of the area. Here are the top three:
1. Charles Hosmer Morse Museum of American Art: This museum has the largest collection of works by Louis Comfort Tiffany, including stained glass, lamps, and jewelry.
2. Orlando Museum of Art: This museum has a collection of American art from the 19th century to the present day, as well as international art and temporary exhibitions.
3. Harry P. Leu Gardens: This botanical garden has over 50 acres of gardens, including a butterfly garden, a rose garden, and a tropical rainforest garden.
– The Charles Hosmer Morse Museum of American Art has the largest collection of works by Louis Comfort Tiffany.
– The Orlando Museum of Art has a collection of American and international art.
– Harry P. Leu Gardens has over 50 acres of gardens.
Wrong Interpretations Concerning Things To Do Around Orlando Fl
Misconception 1: Orlando is just about theme parks
Many people believe that Orlando is all about theme parks, but there are many other things to do in the area. While the theme parks are a major draw for tourists, Orlando is also home to many museums, art galleries, and other cultural attractions. Visitors can explore the Orlando Museum of Art, the Orlando Science Center, or the Charles Hosmer Morse Museum of American Art, among other options. There are also many outdoor activities to enjoy, including hiking, biking, and kayaking in the area’s many parks and nature preserves.
Misconception 2: There’s nothing to do in Orlando besides Disney World
Another common misconception is that there is nothing to do in Orlando besides Disney World. While Disney World is certainly a major attraction, there are many other theme parks in the area, including Universal Orlando Resort and SeaWorld Orlando. Additionally, there are many other things to do in Orlando, such as visiting the Kennedy Space Center, exploring the Harry P. Leu Gardens, or watching an Orlando Magic basketball game.
Misconception 3: Orlando is only for families with kids
Many people think that Orlando is only for families with young children, but this is not true. While the theme parks are certainly popular with families, there are many other attractions that are suitable for adults. For example, there are many shopping opportunities in the Orlando area, including the Mall at Millenia and the Orlando Premium Outlets. Visitors can also enjoy nightlife in the city’s many bars and clubs, or relax at one of the area’s many spas and wellness centers.
Misconception 4: Orlando is always hot
Another common misconception is that Orlando is always hot. While the city is certainly warm and sunny for much of the year, there are also periods of cooler weather. Winter temperatures can dip into the 40s and 50s, so visitors should be prepared with warm clothing if they plan to visit during this time. Additionally, the area can experience rain and thunderstorms during the summer months, so visitors should be prepared with rain gear if they plan to visit during this time.
Misconception 5: Orlando is only worth visiting for a few days
Finally, some people believe that Orlando is only worth visiting for a few days. While it is certainly possible to see many of the city’s attractions in a short amount of time, there is also plenty to do for visitors who want to stay longer. The city is home to many cultural attractions, as well as many outdoor activities, so visitors can easily fill a week or more with things to do. Additionally, the nearby beaches and other cities, such as Tampa and St. Augustine, make Orlando a great base for exploring the rest of Florida.
Things To Do Around Orlando Fl