DALLAS — It’s a good day for some family fun. Wake up and get a whiff of funnel cakes in the morning at the State Fair of Texas as it opens its grounds Friday at 10 a.m. With so much to do on the fairgrounds, it’s only right that Spectrum News 1 helps in getting you ready for the occasion.
‘twas the night before the Fair…☁️🎡 We hope you have the sweetest dreams of funnel cakes, midway rides, and Big Tex! 🤠 See you in the morning! pic.twitter.com/3iyKvE34MZ
— State Fair of Texas (@StateFairOfTX) September 30, 2022
For some extra aid in navigating the event, the State Fair of Texas has produced a visitor’s guide.
People have from Sept. 30 to Oct. 23. to visit the fair, which will be open Sunday to Thursday, 10 a.m. to 9 p.m., and Friday to Saturday, 10 a.m. to 10 p.m.. The last day’s entry is 9 p.m. Parking gates and ticket booths are open daily at 9 a.m.
The State Fair of Texas is located at Gate 2 at 925 S. Haskell in Dallas, Texas. Parking costs $20 per space at official fair lots. Bicycle racks are inside Gates 5, 6 and 11, but they are first-come, first-served. Premium parking is $40 at the Grand Avenue Gate from Cullum Boulevard, Parry/Haskell (Sat./Sun.).
Overnight parking information can be found here.
Single tickets are generally priced at $15 to $24. But discounts will run every day for the military and first responders, and all fair-goers can visit any participating North Texas McDonald’s for discount vouchers.
Since Friday is the fair’s opening day, it is offering a one-off ticket deal for anyone that brings in two jars of peanut butter to donate to the North Texas Food Bank at the gate. It bumps your ticket down to $10.
For more information on group packaged ticket deals or season passes, look here.
The State Fair of Texas informs visitors not to bring in the following:
- Pets, unless a service animal for disability reasons
- Bull Horns, air horns, megaphones or similar Items
- Large Signs, large props or similar items
- Selfie Sticks, tripods, monopods, or other camera equipment — unless credentialed through the State Fair of Texas’ PR office
- Bicycle, skateboard or roller skates
- No weapons of any kind — unless a licensed to carry handgun owner, but it MUST be concealed.
While the fair doesn’t allow those items, here are some that are welcome:
- Wagon for small children
- Personal food and beverages — but alcohol, glass containers and metal knives and forks are prohibited
- Coolers or Ice Chests — it will be searched to ensure there aren’t prohibited items in them
Attire that is not appropriate for the fair — and which may result in refusal of admittance — includes but is not limited to:
- Clothing with objectionable material, including obscene language or graphics
- Clothing which, by nature, exposes excessive portions of the skin that may be viewed as inappropriate for a family environment
- Clothing with multiple layers are subject to search upon entry
- Offensive tattoos
- Costumes or masks (unless they are for medical purposes) may not be worn by guests 12 years of age or older
- Costumes may not contain any weapons that resemble or could easily be mistaken for an actual weapon
- Masks may not cover the head and face entirely. Eyes must be visible
Read its site for more details on the fair’s regulations.
“The State Fair Midway features more than 70 rides including the iconic 212 ft. Texas Star® Ferris wheel, the Kidway, the 500 ft. Top o’ Texas Tower and the 1914 Dentzel Carousel. The Kidway area features rides suitable for children 2 years of age and older. State Fair Food & Ride coupons are used to pay for all Midway rides. Coupons can be purchased online in advance or at booths inside the fair. There’s also a variety of fun games for you to play! In order to play games, you must purchase a Big Tex Game Card. These cards can be purchased at booths and kiosks adjacent to the gaming areas. Learn more about the Midway,” reads an excerpt from the fair’s FAQ page.
And have you heard about “the golden stick?” Fair-goers have a chance at devouring a free corny dog. Fletcher’s Corny Dogs celebrates 80 years since its introduction at Fair Park.
Eighty special sticks will be up grabs at all of Fletchers’ seven locations. If you’re one of the lucky 80 to get a free corny dog, your stick will read, “80 years.”
Where can I get a Fletcher’s Corny Dog? Only at these 7 stands! (Plus inside the Cotton Bowl for football games)…
*Big Tex stand
*Nimitz on one side of the Cotton Bowl
*Cotton Bowl Plaza
*Midway1 right by the Log Ride
*Midway2 stand by the Texas Star
— Fletchers Corny Dogs (@FletchersDogs) September 26, 2022
There’s so much to look forward to Friday as the fair nears its open. Soon visitors can partake in food of all varieties, rides and games galore for all ages, live music, etc. For more additional information on what to expect at the State Fair of Texas, check out a more in depth look at its attractions and events.