Fun Things To Do In Downtown Orlando
Downtown Orlando is a vibrant and bustling city center that offers a myriad of exciting activities and attractions for both locals and tourists alike. From exploring the iconic Lake Eola Park to immersing yourself in the vibrant arts and cultural scene, there is something for everyone in this captivating part of the city. In this article, we will delve into five fun things to do in downtown Orlando that will surely leave you with unforgettable memories.
1. Discover the Magic of Lake Eola Park
Nestled in the heart of downtown Orlando, Lake Eola Park is a true gem that offers a peaceful oasis amidst the urban landscape. This picturesque park is centered around a stunning lake that is home to a variety of wildlife, including graceful swans and vibrant tropical birds. Take a leisurely stroll around the lake and enjoy the scenic views, or rent a swan-shaped paddleboat for a unique and romantic experience.
For those seeking a bit more adventure, the park offers a multitude of recreational activities. Rent a bike and explore the numerous bike trails, or challenge your friends to a game of volleyball or basketball at one of the park’s sports courts. Don’t forget to check out the iconic Lake Eola Fountain, which comes alive with a mesmerizing light and music show every night.
2. Immerse Yourself in the Arts and Culture Scene
Downtown Orlando is home to a thriving arts and culture scene that is sure to captivate your senses. Start your exploration at the Dr. Phillips Center for the Performing Arts, a state-of-the-art venue that hosts a wide range of performances, from Broadway shows to classical music concerts. Be sure to check their schedule and catch a show that suits your taste.
Art enthusiasts will not want to miss the CityArts Factory, an art gallery that features rotating exhibits showcasing the works of local artists. With its diverse range of styles and mediums, there is always something new and exciting to discover. After exploring the gallery, take a stroll through Pine Street, where you’ll find charming boutiques and art studios.
3. Indulge in Culinary Delights
Downtown Orlando is a food lover’s paradise, offering a plethora of dining options that cater to every palate. From casual eateries to upscale restaurants, you’ll find a wide array of cuisines to satisfy your cravings. Whether you’re in the mood for a juicy burger, fresh seafood, or exotic ethnic dishes, downtown Orlando has it all.
For a unique experience, head to Church Street, where you’ll find an eclectic mix of restaurants housed in historic buildings. Indulge in delicious comfort food at a local gastropub or savor a farm-to-table dining experience. Don’t forget to explore the vibrant nightlife scene in this area, with its trendy bars and live music venues.
4. Shop ’til You Drop
If shopping is your idea of a fun activity, downtown Orlando won’t disappoint. The city center is home to a variety of shopping districts, each offering a unique retail experience. Start your shopping spree at the iconic Orlando Fashion Square, a large indoor mall that houses a wide range of stores, from popular brands to local boutiques.
For a more eclectic shopping experience, head to the Thornton Park District, a charming neighborhood known for its quaint shops and boutiques. Explore the locally-owned stores and discover unique fashion items, home decor, and artisanal products. Don’t forget to stop by the Orlando Farmers Market, held every Sunday, where you can shop for fresh produce, local goods, and handmade crafts.
5. Experience the Thrills of Amway Center
For sports enthusiasts and concert-goers, a visit to Amway Center is a must. This state-of-the-art arena is home to the Orlando Magic basketball team and hosts a variety of concerts and events throughout the year. Catch an NBA game and cheer on the home team, or attend a live concert by your favorite artist.
Even if there are no events scheduled during your visit, you can still take a guided tour of the arena and get a behind-the-scenes look at the facilities. Stand on the court where your favorite athletes play, explore the locker rooms, and learn about the history of the venue.
In conclusion, downtown Orlando offers a plethora of fun and exciting activities for everyone. Whether you’re seeking natural beauty, cultural immersion, culinary delights, shopping, or thrilling entertainment, this vibrant city center has it all. So, pack your bags and get ready to embark on an unforgettable adventure in downtown Orlando.
Faqs About Fun Things To Do In Downtown Orlando
What are some popular attractions in Downtown Orlando?
Downtown Orlando is home to various popular attractions that cater to different interests. Here are some of the top attractions in the area:
1. The Orlando Eye: This iconic observation wheel offers stunning panoramic views of the city skyline and surrounding areas. It stands at 400 feet tall and provides an unforgettable experience for visitors.
– The Orlando Eye is located at the I-Drive 360 complex.
– The ride lasts approximately 20 minutes.
– There are various ticket options available, including combo tickets with other nearby attractions.
2. Dr. Phillips Center for the Performing Arts: This state-of-the-art venue hosts a wide range of performances, including Broadway shows, concerts, ballets, and more. It is a must-visit for anyone seeking a cultural experience in Downtown Orlando.
– The center is located on Orange Avenue.
– It features multiple theaters and performance spaces.
– Tickets for shows can be purchased online or at the box office.
3. Lake Eola Park: Nestled in the heart of Downtown Orlando, Lake Eola Park is a picturesque oasis that offers a serene escape from the bustling city. Visitors can take leisurely strolls around the lake, rent swan-shaped paddleboats, and enjoy picnics in the park.
– The park is open from sunrise to sunset.
– It features a 0.9-mile walking path around the lake.
– The iconic Lake Eola Fountain is a prominent landmark within the park.
Where can I explore art and culture in Downtown Orlando?
Downtown Orlando is a hub for art and culture, with several venues and galleries showcasing a wide range of artistic expressions. Here are some places to explore:
1. Orlando Museum of Art: This renowned institution houses a vast collection of American, African, and contemporary art. It regularly hosts exhibitions, educational programs, and events that cater to art enthusiasts of all ages.
– The museum is located on North Mills Avenue.
– It offers both permanent and temporary exhibitions.
– Admission fees vary and discounts are available for students, seniors, and military personnel.
2. CityArts Factory: This contemporary art gallery features multiple exhibition spaces that showcase works by local and international artists. It aims to promote dialogue and engagement within the art community and hosts monthly art walks.
– CityArts Factory is located on Orange Avenue.
– It houses several galleries, including a photography gallery and a rotating exhibit space.
– Admission is free, although donations are encouraged to support the arts.
3. Mad Cow Theatre: For theater enthusiasts, Mad Cow Theatre is a must-visit. This professional theater company produces a diverse range of plays and musicals, showcasing both classic and contemporary works.
– The theater is located on South Magnolia Avenue.
– It features two performance spaces: The Harriett and The Zehngebot-Stonerock.
– Tickets can be purchased online or at the box office.
What are some family-friendly activities in Downtown Orlando?
Downtown Orlando offers a variety of family-friendly activities that are sure to entertain both kids and adults. Here are a few options:
1. Orlando Science Center: This hands-on science museum features interactive exhibits, live shows, and a planetarium. It offers a fun and educational experience for visitors of all ages, with exhibits covering topics such as dinosaurs, space, and technology.
– The Orlando Science Center is located on East Princeton Street.
– It offers both permanent and traveling exhibits.
– Tickets can be purchased online or at the box office.
2. SEA LIFE Orlando Aquarium: Located at the ICON Park complex, this aquarium showcases a diverse array of marine life. Visitors can walk through a tunnel surrounded by sharks, interact with starfish and sea anemones, and learn about conservation efforts.
– The aquarium is located on International Drive.
– It features over 5,000 sea creatures.
– Combination tickets with other nearby attractions are available.
3. Amway Center: If your family enjoys sports, catching a game or concert at the Amway Center is a great option. This state-of-the-art arena is home to the Orlando Magic NBA team and hosts various other sporting events and concerts throughout the year.
– The Amway Center is located on West Church Street.
– It has a seating capacity of over 20,000.
– Tickets can be purchased online or at the box office.
Where can I shop in Downtown Orlando?
Downtown Orlando offers a diverse array of shopping options, from high-end boutiques to unique local stores. Here are some places to shop:
1. The Mall at Millenia: Known for its upscale shopping experience, The Mall at Millenia features a wide range of luxury brands, including Gucci, Louis Vuitton, and Chanel. It also houses department stores such as Macy’s and Bloomingdale’s.
– The mall is located on Millenia Boulevard.
– It offers valet parking and a variety of dining options.
– Extended hours are available during the holiday season.
2. Thornton Park: This charming neighborhood in Downtown Orlando is home to a variety of boutique shops and specialty stores. Visitors can find unique clothing, accessories, home decor, and more while exploring the area’s tree-lined streets.
– Thornton Park is located just east of Lake Eola.
– It features a mix of local businesses and national brands.
– Free street parking is available, but limited.
3. East End Market: If you’re looking for a more artisanal shopping experience, East End Market is worth a visit. This indoor marketplace showcases local vendors offering products such as gourmet food, handmade crafts, and organic produce.
– East End Market is located on Corrine Drive.
– It features a variety of eateries, shops, and a demonstration kitchen.
– Limited parking is available on-site, with additional street parking nearby.
Where can I dine in Downtown Orlando?
Downtown Orlando is a food lover’s paradise, with a plethora of dining options that cater to various tastes and budgets. Here are some noteworthy restaurants to try:
1. The Rusty Spoon: Known for its farm-to-table concept, The Rusty Spoon offers a menu inspired by local and seasonal ingredients. The restaurant prides itself on its sustainable practices and supports local farmers and artisans.
– The Rusty Spoon is located on West Church Street.
– It offers a lunch and dinner menu, as well as a Sunday brunch.
– Reservations are recommended, especially during peak hours.
2. DoveCote: This French-inspired brasserie is a culinary gem in Downtown Orlando. It serves classic French dishes with a modern twist, using locally sourced ingredients whenever possible. The restaurant also features a rooftop bar for pre- or post-dinner drinks.
– DoveCote is located on North Orange Avenue.
– It offers lunch, dinner, and weekend brunch menus.
– Valet parking is available, as well as nearby parking garages.
3. Kres Chophouse: For a fine dining experience, Kres Chophouse is a top choice. This upscale steakhouse offers a selection of prime cuts, seafood, and other gourmet dishes. The elegant ambiance and attentive service make it a popular spot for special occasions.
– Kres Chophouse is located on Church Street.
– It features private dining rooms for events and gatherings.
– Reservations are recommended, especially on weekends.
1. Downtown Orlando is only for tourists
One common misconception about downtown Orlando is that it is primarily a tourist destination. While it is true that downtown Orlando does attract a significant number of tourists, it is also home to a thriving local community. Residents of Orlando often frequent the downtown area, enjoying the many fun activities and events that the city has to offer. From vibrant nightlife to cultural attractions, downtown Orlando has something for everyone, not just tourists.
2. Downtown Orlando lacks green spaces
Another misconception about downtown Orlando is that it lacks green spaces and outdoor recreational areas. While the downtown area is known for its urban environment, there are several parks and green spaces that provide an escape from the bustling city streets. For example, Lake Eola Park is a popular destination in downtown Orlando, offering a beautiful lake, walking trails, and even a swan boat rental. Additionally, Heritage Square Park and Constitution Green provide serene spots for relaxation amidst the cityscape.
3. Fun activities in downtown Orlando are expensive
Many people assume that engaging in fun activities in downtown Orlando can be quite expensive. However, there are plenty of affordable options available for those on a budget. From free events and concerts at Lake Eola Park to happy hour specials at various downtown bars and restaurants, there are numerous ways to have a great time without breaking the bank. Additionally, discounted tickets for attractions and shows can often be found through online deals or local promotions, making it easier to enjoy the downtown experience without spending a fortune.
4. Downtown Orlando is only for nightlife
While downtown Orlando is certainly known for its vibrant nightlife scene, there is much more to the area than just bars and clubs. During the daytime, the downtown area comes to life with a variety of cultural attractions, such as art galleries, museums, and theaters. The Dr. Phillips Center for the Performing Arts, for example, hosts a range of shows and performances throughout the year, including Broadway productions and concerts. Additionally, downtown Orlando is home to numerous shops, boutiques, and markets, providing ample opportunities for shopping enthusiasts.
5. Downtown Orlando is unsafe
One misconception that some may have about downtown Orlando is that it is unsafe. While it is true that every city has its share of crime, downtown Orlando has made significant efforts to improve safety in recent years. The Orlando Police Department has a strong presence in the area, and there are security measures in place to ensure the well-being of residents and visitors. Additionally, the downtown district has seen a revitalization in recent years, making it a more attractive and secure destination. As with any urban area, it is always important to exercise caution and be aware of your surroundings, but overall, downtown Orlando is a relatively safe place to visit and enjoy various activities.
Fun Things To Do In Downtown Orlando
#Fun #Downtown #Orlando