Hulu’s sci-fi thriller, set in the near future, stars Chloe Grace Moretz and Algee Smith as a couple racing to escape an android uprising, days away from having their first baby.
Here are five things to know:
- In addition to loving the “Mother/Android” script, Chloe Grace Moretz said that meeting with the film’s writer and director, Mattson Tomlin, sealed the deal on her decision to join the cast. “He is such an incredible human, and his personal touch and connection to it was something I felt I could not allow anyone else to have the chance of playing Georgia,” she said.
- Tomlin, a first-time director, said “Mother/Android” is a love letter to his biological parents, a young couple who found themselves pregnant during the 1989 Romanian Revolution.
- Actor, singer and songwriter Algee Smith plays Georgia’s boyfriend, Sam. Smith is also a lead opposite Zendaya in HBO’s “Euphoria,” which returns for a second season on Jan. 9. Smith’s other credits include “Judas and the Black Messiah,” “The Hate You Give,” “Detroit,” and BET’s highest-rated mini-series, “New Edition.”
- The series also features Raul Castillo, who said, “The script was so riveting, from the first page to the last, I couldn’t put it down.” He added, “I play a character named Arthur who is sort of a scientist, a survivalist, living out in this no man’s land. He has created this bubble for himself to survive in and avoid these androids. He tries to help Georgia and Sam survive.”
- Castillo is an actor who works across the film, television and theater mediums. He is best known for his portrayal of Paps in “We the Animals” and his starring role as Richie in the HBO series “Looking.”