Orlando, Florida, is an incredible city with a lot to offer to both residents and tourists. Home to world-renowned amusement parks, pristine lakes, and gorgeous beaches, it’s no wonder why Orlando is one of the most popular tourist destinations in the United States. In this article, we will explore the best things to do in Orlando, from visiting theme parks to exploring the city’s unique culture and history.
1. Visit Walt Disney World Resort
One of the top attractions in Orlando is the world-famous Walt Disney World Resort. This massive amusement park is comprised of four separate theme parks: Magic Kingdom Park, Epcot, Disney’s Hollywood Studios, and Disney’s Animal Kingdom Theme Park. Each park offers a unique experience, with something for everyone to enjoy. If you’re traveling with children, Magic Kingdom is a must-see, as it features classic Disney characters, thrilling rides, and breathtaking parades. For those who want to experience cultures from all over the world, Epcot is the perfect destination, offering pavilions and exhibits showcasing cuisine, entertainment, and attractions from all around the world.
2. Explore Universal Orlando Resort
Another must-visit attraction in Orlando is Universal Orlando Resort. Featuring two separate theme parks, Universal Studios Florida and Universal’s Islands of Adventure, visitors can experience famous movie and TV franchises, such as Harry Potter, The Simpsons, and Transformers. The Wizarding World of Harry Potter is a highlight of Universal Orlando Resort, allowing visitors to explore Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley, ride the Hogwarts Express, and enjoy thrilling rides and shows based on the beloved book series.
3. Visit the Orlando Science Center
If you’re looking for a more educational and interactive experience, the Orlando Science Center is the perfect destination. This 200,000 square foot museum boasts four floors of exhibits, showcasing topics such as technology, nature, and space. Visitors can touch and examine real life fossils, simulate a space shuttle launch, and explore the secrets of our universe through shows at the Crosby Observatory.
4. Experience the World of LEGOs at LEGOLAND Florida Resort
For those who love to build, create, and play, LEGOLAND Florida Resort is a must-visit. Located in nearby Winter Haven, LEGOLAND features over 50 rides, shows, and attractions, all created with LEGO bricks. Highlights include Miniland USA, showcasing miniature versions of famous cities and landmarks, and LEGO Headquarters, where visitors can watch LEGO bricks being made and even take part in their own building projects.
5. Take a Tour of the Kennedy Space Center
Orlando is also home to the Kennedy Space Center, NASA’s primary launch center. Visitors can take a tour of the facility, learning about the history of space exploration, seeing real spacecraft and artifacts, and even experiencing a simulated space shuttle launch. For those who want to get an even closer look, Kennedy Space Center offers a variety of special tours, giving visitors access to areas of the facility not normally open to the public.
6. Experience Nature at the Gatorland
Florida may be known for its alligators, but at Gatorland, visitors can get up close and personal with a variety of wildlife, including alligators, crocodiles, snakes, and even primates. The park features over 85 acres of attractions and exhibits, including a breeding marsh, aviary, and petting zoo. For those who want to see live alligator shows, Gatorland offers daily shows that are sure to thrill and amaze.
7. Visit the Harry P. Leu Gardens
If you’re looking for a peaceful oasis in the heart of Orlando, the Harry P. Leu Gardens is a must-visit. These stunning gardens are spread out over 50 acres, featuring over 40 different plant collections and exhibits. Visitors can take a stroll along the manicured trails, explore the historic Leu House Museum, or attend one of the many events and exhibits hosted by the gardens.
8. Take a Stroll Down Park Avenue
For a taste of the unique Orlando culture and history, Park Avenue in Winter Park is the place to be. This charming area boasts a variety of shops, cafes, and restaurants, all housed in historic buildings and framed by beautiful oak trees. Visitors can take a guided tour of the area to learn about the history of the architecture and the people who have made Winter Park what it is today.
Orlando truly has something for everyone, from thrilling amusement park rides to peaceful gardens and museums. Whether you’re looking for a family-friendly vacation or a solo adventure, Orlando offers endless possibilities for exploration and discovery. With so much to see and do, it’s no wonder why Orlando continues to be one of the most popular destinations in the United States.
Most Asked Questions Concerning Best Things To Do Orlando
What are the best amusement parks in Orlando?
When it comes to amusement parks in Orlando, you won’t be disappointed. Here are the top 3 places to visit:
1. Walt Disney World – This is the most popular destination in Orlando, which features four theme parks, two water parks, and a variety of entertainment options. It’s perfect for families with kids of all ages.
2. Universal Studios Florida – You’ll find seven different themed areas in Universal Studios that feature a wide range of rides, shows, and attractions based on blockbuster movies and TV shows.
3. SeaWorld – This park combines thrilling roller coasters and aquatic animal exhibits. You can also watch killer whale and dolphin shows, feed sea lions and much more.
What are the best outdoor activities in Orlando?
Orlando’s subtropical climate makes it the perfect destination to enjoy some outdoor activities. Here are the top 3 outdoor activities in Orlando:
1. Balloon Rides – Imagine soaring above the treetops and taking in the breathtaking view of Orlando with a hot air balloon ride. This is one of the most popular outdoor activities.
2. Golfing – Orlando has some of the most beautiful country clubs and courses in the world. Whether you’re a beginner or an experienced golfer, you’re sure to find a course that meets your needs.
3. Lake Eola – Take a stroll around Lake Eola or rent a swan-shaped paddle boat, and enjoy the expansive scenery, water fountains, and bird sanctuary.
What are the best museums to visit in Orlando?
Orlando is home to several famous museums, influencing visitors with its historical and artistic exhibits. Here are the top 3 museums to visit in Orlando:
1. The Orlando Science Center: It features four floors of interactive exhibits and an observatory with a wide range of telescopes and space exhibits.
2. The Charles Hosmer Morse Museum: The museum exhibits the world’s most comprehensive collection of unique pieces from artist Louis Comfort Tiffany, including his famous stained-glass works.
3. The Orange County Regional History Center: This exhibits a variety of interactive exhibits that display the history and culture of Orange County as well as Central Florida.
What is the best place for shopping in Orlando?
Orlando is an incredible shopping destination. If you’re looking for the best place to shop, there are several options you can explore. Here are the top 3:
1. The Mall at Millenia – This mall features more than 150 stores with some of the world’s top luxury brands like Tory Burch, Gucci and Prada.
2. The Florida Mall – The Florida Mall is one of the largest malls in Orlando, which houses over 250 stores, many of which carry affordable fashion brands.
3. Orlando International Premium Outlets – This outlet mall has 180 plus designer and top-brand outlets with discounted prices.
What are the best shows in Orlando?
Orlando is not only known for amusement parks, but also for its excellent entertainment options. Here are the top 3 shows in Orlando:
1. Blue Man Group – This show offers a unique and unforgettable performance with percussion, comedy, and visual effects to awe audiences of all ages.
2. Cirque du Soleil’s La Nouba – This spectacular show blends acrobatics, music and drama to deliver a showcase that is beyond belief.
3. Sleuths Mystery Dinner Theater – This interactive dinner theater offers an exceptional experience where people try to solve a murder from start to end with a three-course dinner provided.
Common Misinterpretations About Best Things To Do Orlando
Misconception 1: Orlando only has theme parks
One of the most common misconceptions about Orlando is that it’s only home to theme parks. While it’s true that the city is the theme park capital of the world, it also has a lot more to offer. From world-renowned golf courses and luxurious spas to outdoor adventures and cultural attractions, there’s something for everyone in Orlando.
Misconception 2: The theme parks are the only things to do at night
Another common misconception about Orlando is that the only things to do at night are the theme parks. While the parks are a great way to spend your day, Orlando also has a lively nightlife scene. With numerous bars, nightclubs, and live music venues, there’s no shortage of entertainment options for night owls.
Misconception 3: You have to be a kid to enjoy Orlando
Many people assume that Orlando is only suitable for families with children. However, this couldn’t be further from the truth. In fact, Orlando is a popular destination for adults looking to unwind and have fun. From shopping at upscale malls and spas to experiencing world-class dining and nightlife, Orlando has something to offer visitors of all ages.
Misconception 4: Orlando is too crowded for a relaxing vacation
Some people avoid traveling to Orlando because they think it’s too crowded to relax. While it’s true that Orlando is a popular tourist destination, there are plenty of ways to escape the crowds and enjoy a peaceful vacation. Many resorts in the area offer private beaches, secluded pools, and other amenities designed to help guests unwind and enjoy a stress-free vacation.
Misconception 5: Orlando is only for Americans
Finally, another common misconception about Orlando is that it’s only a destination for Americans. While the city is certainly popular among American tourists, it’s also a popular destination for international travelers. In fact, Orlando is one of the most visited cities in the world, with over 75 million visitors from around the globe in 2018. Visitors from Europe, South America, and Asia all flock to Orlando to experience the city’s unique offerings.
Best Things To Do Orlando