From relationships to racism, EGOT-profitable actress Rita Moreno speaks her truth of the matter about her upbringing and profession in a new documentary.
Five things you need to have to know:
- “Rita Moreno: Just a Female Who Resolved to Go for It” showcases the humor of the 89-12 months-aged Moreno, as properly as lesser-identified struggles she confronted on her path to stardom, which include Hollywood sexism and abuse, a toxic connection with Marlon Brando and melancholy a 12 months before she emerged as an Oscar winner.
- Born into poverty on a Puerto Rican farm, Moreno and her seamstress mother immigrated to New York City when Moreno was 5 a long time aged.
- Soon after studying dance and doing on Broadway, Moreno was cast as any ethnic minority the Hollywood studios wanted, be it Polynesian, Indigenous American or Egyptian.
- The documentary includes interviews with Lin-Manuel Miranda, Eva Longoria, Héctor Elizondo, Gloria Estefan, Morgan Freeman, Whoopi Goldberg, Norman Lear and far more.
- In addition to a role in Steven Spielberg’s approaching remake of “West Facet Story,” Moreno serves as an govt producer on the film.